As a dynamic media coach and trainer, Monica Davis understands the media from two sides; one side as a producer, host and publisher and the other as a source and subject matter expert. She provides proven and time-tested media strategies to entrepreneurs and small business owners to help them build credibility and authority in their field, and raise awareness for their businesses and non-profit causes. As a result, her clients are able to increase their level of influence and increase sales. With over 18 years of media experience, her work as a coach, magazine publisher, best-selling author and award-winning talk show host and producer is highly respected by industry leaders and organizations around the world.
What motivated and inspired you to start your own business?
As a young child I knew I wanted to inspire and help the masses in some way, but wasn’t sure how. Years later, the light came on, literally. I was in a TV studio waiting to be interviewed about the topic of my very first book. As I watched the TV crew put the final touches on the set and finish setting up the lighting, a thought came to mind. I realized I could use this amazing media platform to tell my story and give people around the world the opportunity to share their expertise and amazing stories.
I’ve had the privilege of interviewing and promoting some amazing, world renowned individuals including members of the Zig Ziglar family, NFL players and Hall of Famers, Hollywood actresses like Della Reese, and CEOs of top companies like Fisher Nuts.
I am fulfilling my dream by helping others fulfill theirs.
Tell us about your business.
Atela Productions, Inc. is a multifaceted media company that assists business owners and entrepreneurs with accelerating business growth through applying proven publicity strategies. We provide media coaching, training and self-guided step by step strategies to help you develop a solid publicity plan that will enable you to quickly increase credibility, become a leading authority and influencer in your niche.
We help corporate CEO’s and executives, celebrities, professional sports figures, politicians, entrepreneurs and everyday people tell their stories in remarkable ways that bring them closer to their audience.
As a media company, we are also committed to using various platforms to promote positive dialogue among the masses and are dedicated to empowering entrepreneurs and professionals through life-changing, mind-broadening, and educational information.
Some of the varied results my clients have experienced include:
- Booking a radio interview with a top Fox Business News Expert within the first two weeks of taking our course.
- Significantly enhancing their speaking abilities in media interviews and on stage thereby improving the impact of their message.
- Discovering what makes them newsworthy, how to position themselves to get noticed, and how to grow their media presence through networking strategies and key social media deliverables.
- Assisting a national conference to reach sell-out status and achieve an additional $32,000+ in attendee sales.
- Creating new multi-million dollar global partnerships.
Are you currently running any promos/contests/giveaways that you would like our readers to know about?
Yes, we have 4 great promos:
- Sign up for our webinar training where my award-winning co-host, William R. Patterson and I share a step by step blueprint for getting interviews on top podcast shows. This training teaches you:
- How to create a bio that will help establish you as an authority in your field
- Create story ideas and news angles that will excite the media and get you booked
- How to craft an email pitch that entices the media to contact you
- Example templates you can use right away to create your media strategy for getting great podcast interviews and media coverage.
- Sign up for this training and start transforming your business and selling a lot more books, and products or services.
- Here’s a free download, 3 Steps to Getting Publicity Without Selling Your Soul. This cheat sheet shares tips to help you discover how to get national and international media coverage without selling your soul.
- FREE Step by Step Webinar: How to Book 10 Podcast Interviews in 30 Days.
- Get $250 off my $997 Media Superstar course, or get $500 off my Media Superstar coaching program. These two offers are good until August 31, 2017. Contact me to arrange the discounted price and be sure to mention LadyBossBlogger in your request in order to receive the discount.
- Awarding-winning television producer and show host
- Member of the Forbes Coaches Council
- Three-time author and bestselling author
- Global Publisher of Exceptional People Magazine
Some media outlets I’ve been featured in or on include:
- Wall Street Journal
- Bloomberg Businessweek
- WorldNews Network
- USA Today
- CBS News
- India Times
- Hungary News
Where is your business based?
We are based out of the Washington, D.C. metro area.
What were the first few steps you took to get your business up and running?
Since I wanted to become involved with the media industry and use it to help change the world, my first step was to begin learning every aspect of it, inside and out – how it works and how it impacts those who are featured in the media. It was a long and detailed process, but it has helped me have a huge impact on the lives of many entrepreneurs and thousands of people around the world.
What has been the most effective way of raising awareness of your business and getting new customers?
Over the years, I have developed a brand that is recognized by Fortune 500 companies, world leaders and business icons around the world.
I’ve used a combination of methods but traditional media has been the most effective marketing method that has worked for me. Through targeted media interviews and press releases, I’ve consistently reached the masses with my message. I then incorporate social media into the mix.
What have been your biggest challenges so far?
My initial biggest challenge was developing the right support team to help me build the best foundation for my company. My ongoing challenge is time – there’s never enough hours in the day to handle every project, but sometimes it’s a blessing to have more work than you can handle.
How did you overcome these challenges?
I thoroughly researched experts who had the skills I needed to help make my team complete, and then interviewed those I wanted to bring on board. Because time is so precious, I learned to prioritize daily tasks and let others handle things such as administrative tasks or other tasks in which I lack the right amount of experience, so that I can focus on other important aspects of my business.
How do you keep motivated through difficult times?
I stay motivated by maintaining my faith and staying focused on the end goal. Anything worth achieving requires patience and perseverance. What also keeps me motivated is the end result I see with my clients. It’s not about me; it’s about helping others fulfill their dreams and live their passions. I enjoy working with my clients because they have such unique stories and I get to show them how to use their story to impact their audience and the world.
How do you distinguish yourself from your competitors?
What distinguishes me from my competitors is my experience. I have over 18 years of media experience and have built partnerships and relationships with some of the world’s top PR companies, as well as media outlets. I publish a global magazine, hosted and produced an award-winning television show, co-produced many TV and video projects and directed live news and entertainment shows. I understand the media from all aspects.
What is the best advice you have received recently?
- Aim for your goal unswervingly. Patience, perseverance and consistency is what makes you a winner.
- Stay the course. Do at least one thing everyday to move closer to your goal.
What advice would you give to other entrepreneurs?
Never let anyone discourage you from living your dreams. Be patient and persistent and build a support team to help you. Teamwork makes the dream work. James Baldwin once said, “Those who say it can’t be done, are usually interrupted by others doing it.” Keep the faith, stay focused, stay the course and become an interrupter.
Always ask for help when you encounter problems that you can’t solve yourself. Unless it’s something you truly want to do, don’t reinvent the wheel when someone can help you get to where you want to go much faster and without unnecessary mistakes. Consider publicity as part of your marketing mix – developing relationships with the media is one of the best things you can do for your business.
What is your favorite business tool or resource?
One of my favorite tools is Adobe Acrobat. The flexibility it offers in creating and editing documents is amazing.
What is a good article or book you have read recently?
I don’t get the chance to read books as much as I’d like. However, when doing magazine interviews with wonderful business authors and others, I do get the chance to review some amazing books, one being “Abundance Now”, by Lisa Nichols and Janet Switzer.
What are your goals for the next few months and how are you striving to achieve them?
My goal is continue to educate people on how to position themselves as experts and leading authorities in their fields. I’ll continue to help them create and share stories that matter and share their knowledge through traditional media so they can explode their visibility and income. I enjoy connecting with and learning about my clients’ visions for their entrepreneurial endeavors. It’s exciting to work with people who have amazing knowledge and great ideas for changing the world and their own lives.
What social media outlets do you use? List them below.
Facebook Group @profitablepr
Forbes Article Why Traditional Media Should Be a Part of Your Marketing Plan
Slideshow Ten Things That Make you Irresistible to the Media
Daily Entrepreneur Resources
Subscribe and stay connected with our network of female entrepreneurs!