Now, there’s another platform on the block: TikTok. The video-based app launched globally in 2017 and, as of January 2021, has nearly 700 million active users worldwide. A big chunk of these users are 35 years old and younger.
TikTok’s “For You” page, or “FYP,” is a holy grail for virality. In other words, if your content makes it to this page, the opportunity to go viral is much higher. This is because the For You page is the landscape feed users open to. There, they consume, discover, and explore videos and profiles.
1. Use viral sounds & music
TikTok gives you the option to add effects, sounds, and music while editing your video. These are key elements to viral videos because they make them more appealing to viewers.
Trending sounds and music are particularly important when trying to make it to the For You page. TikTok, like all social media, has an algorithm that tends to boost popular content, and popular sounds play a part in this.
Upbeat music typically performs best, but check out the “TikTok Viral” playlist when editing to choose from the sounds trending now.
However, choose wisely! You’re not as likely to appear on the For You page if the sound or music you use doesn’t match the mood of your video.
Plus, you’ll want to be mindful of the volume. For example, if there’s talking or any other original sounds in your video, you should lower the volume to an appropriate level to accommodate.
2. Engage in trends & challenges
Joining in on trends and challenges can be a deciding factor in whether your content goes viral on TikTok’s For You page.
As they change weekly, you’ll need to study and stay up to date on what’s hot among the TikTok users.
By taking part in current trends, your videos are more likely to be seen on the FYP. As I said previously, TikTok’s algorithm favors content with higher engagement levels, which is commonly the case for videos featuring trends and challenges.
3. Utilize captions & hashtags
Many believe that using tons of hashtags is the way to go in terms of gaining visibility. This is rarely true!
Appropriate hashtag etiquette can help your videos, but know that this alone doesn’t guarantee you a place on the FYP. These are some tips for making it to the For You page:
- Pick a small number of relevant hashtags
- Consider hashtags that are trending in your niche
- Combine popular hashtags with less popular ones
- Include #fyp and #ForYou, but don’t only rely on them
- Engage in hashtag challenges
Comments in general should also be used wisely. Keep them short and to the point like your hashtags.
Try to encourage audience engagement by asking a prompting question or by giving a brief behind-the-scenes snippet of your video in-the-making.
4. Make high-quality content
Nobody likes a blurry or shaky video. It usually screams “amateur” and definitely discourages a user from watching a video all the way through.
It’s not uncommon for TikTok creators to have someone else shoot and/or edit their videos. Consider finding a video editor, videographer, or someone of a similar background to help you produce the highest-quality content possible.
There’s nothing new about the fact that viewers’ attention is fleeting, no matter the social media. Thus, uploading shorter clips is more effective.
Keep in mind – TikTok videos only lets you record up to 60 seconds, so condensing content can get tricky!
5. Be open, authentic, & interactive
No matter which social media platform you use, authenticity and responsiveness are a must for growing an organic, engaged audience.
Why does having this increase the likelihood of making it to TikTok’s For You page? Well, it’s because the app looks for videos that get the most engagement. Your content receives more likes, views, comments, and shares with a genuine following compared to accounts that have inactive followers.
Beyond that, some creators struggle with deciding how much they should share about their lives.
Here are some ways to engage your audience:
- Respond to questions and comments ASAP
- Respond to duets (and post your own)
- Create unique and entertaining content
- Find your target audience
- Don’t spam with product/brand promotions
- Ask viewers to like, comment, and share your videos
- Maintain integrity and open-mindedness
- Express gratitude for your followers
Additional articles you might be interested in:
- How To Use TikTok Influencers To Your Advantage
- How To Join The TikTok Creator Fund
- Why You Should Hire A Video Editor
- How Much Of Your Personal Life Should You Share As An Influencer
- How To Overcome The Fear Of Sharing Your Personal Life On Social Media
- 3 Goals You Should Have For The Content You Produce
- How To Stay Authentic As An Influencer
- How To Engage Your Target Audience
- 5 Ways To Protect Your Content
- How To Hashtag: Your Secret Weapon For Social Media
- How To Build Your Personal Brand
Bridget Baltazar is a blogging intern at LadyBossBlogger. She currently attends the University of Iowa and is studying communication studies, human relations, and environmental sustainability.