Kristie Jorfald is a trilingual, multi-cultural wardrobe stylist and fashion expert who has worked in NYC, LA, and is now working in her native city of Chicago.
Her professional expertise runs from working with celebrities (such as Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Kendall + Kylie Jenner, Anna Kendrick, and Miley Cyrus—to name a few) for editorials, the red carpet, press appearances, and commercials to styling women on the two-time Emmy Nominated make over show: How Do I Look? on The Style Network/E!
After 11 years of styling the rich and the famous, Kristie moved back to Chicago and received her Master’s Degree in Education and started her own personal styling business for women in 2016. Kristie Jorfald Personal Stylist’s mission is to teach women how to shop for their shape and build self-confidence through wardrobe styling.
What motivated and inspired you to start your own business?
I was an assistant wardrobe stylist for about 5 years, so to say I learned a lot is an understatement. I got good at my craft and, after working for others as a key stylist, I was just ready to start my own business and create my own vision and rules. Although it’s not easy running your own business, it certainly has it’s rewards—especially when you make your clients happy.
Tell us about your business.
KJPS is determined to educate women on how to shop for their shape and build self-confidence through wardrobe styling. Having a personal stylist is a big investment and the majority of the women I work with are going through a major transformation in their life.
It’s extremely inspirational to work with such intelligent women that are killing it in the world and yet witness their positive transformation into their unique personal style while owning their new sense of self-confidence.
Are you currently running any promos/contests/giveaways that you would like our readers to know about?
Yes! I have two!
- PROMOTION: If you sign up for a dating session with Bela Gandhi, CEO at Smart Dating Academy you will receive a 50% discount off of my most popular deal: Personalized Shopping & Styling Overhaul Package (includes 5 services plus fun perks!).
- PROMOTION: If you book a trip with Uncorked Escapes, not only will you receive complimentary travel planning for your trip, but you will be gifted a complimentary style consultation, packing list, and a custom personalized digital look book with 5 complete outfit suggestions hand-picked by me! Promotion is available until December 2018.
- The first celebrity I got to style was Taylor Swift in 2008.
- The most recent celebrity I’ve styled was Beyoncé.
- I worked as an assistant wardrobe stylist on a makeover show on The Style Network/E! that was Emmy Nominated twice.
- I appeared on Good Morning America twice in one month in 2018.
- I have received a Bachelor’s Degree in English Literature with an emphasis in Creative Writing from the University of Colorado and a Master’s Degree in Elementary Education from Columbia College Chicago.
Making my clients happy and teaching them how to build their self-confidence through wardrobe styling are probably my best achievements thus far.
Where is your business based?
KJPS is based in Chicago, but I’m available for travel, both nationally and Internationally for serious clients.
What has been the most effective way of raising awareness of your business and getting new customers?
Finding power partners.
What have been your biggest challenges so far?
I think the biggest challenge for me was in my first year of starting my business, for sure! I would have good months, bad months, and it was a never-ending roller coaster learning how to wear all the hats that are necessary in making a business successful.
In the past, I only had to focus on styling and clienteling. Now, it’s all that—plus finances, marketing, social media, networking, throwing events while balancing my health and social life with loved ones.
Prioritizing was a big lesson for me.
How did you overcome these challenges?
I got organized and focused!
I stopped drinking and partying (not for good of course, but I made a rule for myself to not drink during the week—it keeps me on top of my game).
I set a schedule and a strict routine. In bed by 9:30 PM and out of bed by 6:30 AM.
I also made time for me in the early mornings during the work week. Self-care is extremely important while running a business.
Don’t forget to make time for yourself, or else you will burn out (for example, I never work Saturday afternoons and Sundays).
How do you keep motivated through difficult times?
I try to travel as often as I can, especially when I am feeling stuck. Traveling exposes me to different cultures, ideas, people, cuisines, and new perspectives.
I tell myself that I need to get lost for a bit. When I lose myself—I always find my way back with more energy, ideas, optimism, and motivation.
How do you distinguish yourself from your competitors?
I distinguish myself by my past achievements and my individuality.
What is the best advice you have received recently?
“If a client doesn’t bite at your first proposal, ask to take them out for coffee to get to know them better and start building a trustworthy relationship—they’ll come around!”
What advice would you give to other entrepreneurs?
- Stay focused on your goal.
- Continue to self-educate yourself monthly.
- Build a healthy routine and stick to it.
- Hire interns.
- Find a power partner.
- Give yourself daily self-love.
- Wake up early, and make your bed.
- Pay it forward.
What are your favorite business tools/resources and why?
Hue and Stripe software for personal stylists, Canvas app, and a flint lint roller (everyone should keep one in their purse!).
What is a good article or book you have read recently?
“The Brand Called You: Create a Personal Brand That Wins Attention and Grows Your Business” by Peter Montoya with Tim Vandehey.
What are you currently learning about for your business or looking for help with?
It’s growing faster than I had anticipated, and I need to hire more interns and an assistant!
What social media outlets do you use? List them below.
Latest posts by Elaine Rau (see all)
- Angela Ficken Specializes In Working With OCD, Eating Disorders, And Anxiety-Related Concerns - December 5, 2019
- 21 Best Black Friday And Cyber Monday Deals For Online Business Owners - November 29, 2019
- Sianna Elise Honors African Style Through Her Clothing Brand - November 26, 2019
- Jessica Hilderbrand-Marshall Takes Care Of All Your Graphic Design And Marketing Needs - November 24, 2019
- Brooke Allison Helps Ambitious Entrepreneurs Scale Their 6 Figure Businesses - November 19, 2019