Raquel Graham Invents New Products That Simplify Life
What you’ll learn in this interview:
- Her inventions that have made it onto The Oprah List
- Her top e-commerce, accounting, social media and editing tool suggestions
- The 1 book she read that motivated her to start her business
- Her 5 pieces of advice to any current and aspiring business owner
- Her very simple 3 product beauty routine
- The 1 woman she looks up to that pioneered social giving before it was even a thing
How This Inventor Runs Her Business Behind The Scenes
1. What do you do? Who do you help?
I invent and innovate new products that aim to make everyday life more simple. Every product comes from my personal experience – usually a frustration that led me to discover a gap in the marketplace.
I advise aspiring entrepreneurs that have ideas on how to bring their products to market. I offer advice at different stages of the process – depending on where they are in their journey.
2. List your favorite business tools.
- Hootsuite – A social media scheduler that helps me schedule content rollout. Posting daily is a challenge for me because I don’t have the time. If I could, I do prefer to post in real time but Hootsuite is the best alternative.
- Canva – Transforms a regular picture into a creative and professional looking post. Easy to use and a great tool to give your Instagram account an aesthetic bump.
- Shopify – This platform is genius. If you are selling products – this platform has thought of every conceivable way to help grow your brand. The hype is correct. I switched to another platform that had better templates but the backend does not compare. The analytics are fantastic but the ease of use is critical as you learn of the benefits.
- Freshbooks – Very user-friendly. I like the ability to run P&Ls easily. It’s very easy to keep track of your expenses. Since it is widely used – all accountants are able to sync your information – no translation issues.
- Grammarly – My fave! A spell checker that corrects as you type. I love that feature. It is useful if you forget to proof before pressing “SEND.”
3. What is a good course, website or book you would recommend and why?
- Deanstreetsociety – Hilary Rushford teaches fantastic “how to” Instagram classes for all levels. Priceless info. Very useful strategies. Not a waste of time.
- Daring Greatly – I started my company after reading this book. It gave me the courage and changed my mindset about putting it all on the line. It is transformative not just for business but for life as well. This is a must-read.
4. What is the best piece of advice you have received?
- Take the risk or you will regret it.
- Never put a ceiling on yourself.
5. What advice would you give to other entrepreneurs?
- Surround yourself with people with a similar mindset.
- Trust your gut and figure about how to ignore the naysayers.
- Don’t be too sensitive. This is business, not a lovefest.
6. What is your beauty and/or fitness routine?
I have a very simple beauty routine, I use very few products daily.
- Cozzette Infinite Makeup Stick – This can be found at the Alcone Company in NYC. This stick has great coverage and it takes one minute to look flawless.
- DHC Olive Virgin Oil – This is the best moisturizer for my skin. My skin soaks it up without looking or feeling greasy. DHC is a brand from Japan with high-quality products.
- Smith’s Rosebud Salve Balm – I use this for my lips and cuticles. This is a cult favorite that I get from Ricky’s every time I am in NYC. A must-have!
I LOVE to workout. I invest in a trainer 3x a week because they can push me harder than I ever could. I also like doing something completely different and creative every time so that is the best way for me to stay interested.
7. List the products or items that are indispensable in your life.
- Goyard Tote – This bag continues to act as my daily luggage while looking great. I do not handle it with care. It is stuffed and dragged daily yet it still makes me look presentable. Any other bag would have been scratched or fallen apart by now. Another plus – it matches everything!
8. Which female entrepreneur(s) do you look up to and why?
Oprah Winfrey – This is a no brainer. I admire not just how she built her empire BUT the way she has infused humanity and giving back into her platform – long before “social impact” became “a thing.”
She is beyond a pioneer in business but a model for how to live and exist in this world. The fact that she is a billionaire is icing on the cake but it is always great to see when “GOOD” comes out on top. I can’t get enough of her.
9. List your social media platforms.
- Instagram @roqinnovation, @headlightz, @__nekz
- Facebook @roqinnovation, @headlightz, @nekzscarfs
- Websites www.roqinnovation, www.head-lightz.com, www.nekz.com
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hashtags #roqinnovation, #innovationmaven, #headlightz