What you’ll learn in this interview:
- The 15 tools this full-time professional organizer uses to make life easier
- The 1 course she took that boosted her business
- The 4 websites she recommends for leading a more organized life
- The 4 books she recommends for getting organized
- The 2 books she read that changed her life
- Her favorite (cruelty-free!) beauty products she uses daily
- The 3 products she can’t (or won’t) live without
How This Professional Organizer Runs Her Business Behind The Scenes
1. What do you do? Who do you help?
I help individuals and families create functionally organized homes for a stress-free life! My company, Om Your Home, offers comprehensive home organizing services that we customize for each of our clients. We understand that life can be chaotic, but your home doesn’t have to be, with the help of Om Your Home.
2. List your favorite business tools.
- Buffer – is a social media scheduler where you can save time by planning out your posts and sharing them to multiple social media platforms. It helps drive meaningful engagement results on social media.
- Hootsuite – is another social media scheduler used for sharing to multiple social media platforms. It is used to schedule content, manage your social media ROI, run ads and more.
- Planoly – is a very popular Instagram scheduler that allows you to visually plan out your feed. It is also one of the few schedulers approved for Instagram, allowing you to auto-post your content.
- Canva – is a content creation app that allows you to create beautiful content for multiple platforms. The graphic design templates are easy to use and can be easily branded for your business.
- Mailchimp – is an automated marketing platform that helps you share emails and campaign ads with your followers and clients. They have the option for branded emails, landing pages, and great data analysis.
- Quickbooks – is a great accounting app where you can easily track your mileage, expenses, and receipts all in one place. You can also create invoices and invite your accountant to make tax time super easy.
- Dubsado – is a CRM that makes managing your business so much easier. It allows you to nurture your leads, track clients and campaigns, process payments, create contracts and forms, and much more.
- Evernote – is a mobile note-taking app that can be used for organization, lists, and archiving. I use Evernote for all of my note taking, and even to store my digitized business cards.
- Productive – is a mobile app that helps you build routines and form new habits. You can set personal goals, track your progress, stay motivated and set reminders for yourself.
- iAccounts – is a password keeper that has both a mobile app and desktop version (iBackup) which sync with each other. It gives you a ton of options for customization, it’s very easy to use, and it is totally free!
- Wunderlist – is a cloud-based app that lets you manage your to-do lists. You can add due dates, reminders, subtasks, and even invite people to see your lists. It is a great way to manage multiple aspects of your life.
- Sortly – is a mobile app which allows you to manage your assets and home inventory. It is a visual way to keep track of the things in your life. It is crucial to have this documented for insurance purposes.
- Keepy – is an app that helps families keep track and organize kids schoolwork, artwork and mementos in a private and secure place. This can greatly reduce clutter while still allowing you to hold onto what is important.
- Mint – is a financial management tool to help you keep track of your money and your credit score. Keep track of paying bills, keep a budget, and stay up to date with automatic updates.
- Google Docs – is a comprehensive tool to access, create and edit your documents from anywhere. It is great for keeping track of documents or sharing with others to collaborate on projects.
3. What is a good course, website or book you would recommend and why?
- The E-Learning Marketing System from Massive Business Growth by Scott Hansen – This program has been invaluable for my business. Prior to starting my business, I had no business experience what so ever! I was already a pro at organizing but knew NOTHING about how to run a business. This course is basically an MBA in 52 weeks!
- Kimberly Jimenez courses – I happened to find Kim’s courses when I was looking for a way to plan out my social media content calendar. Kim offers great FREE courses, and a bunch of paid courses as well. She helps business owners with the online aspect of their businesses.
- Hilary Rushford Instagram course – Hilary has a great FREE Instagram course for multiplying your following and revenue. She has other paid courses as well! Although many of her courses are based on style and clothing, I would definitely recommend the free Instagram course.
- Unroll.me – This is a super useful site to help clean up your inbox. You can easily see all of the emails you are subscribed to get, AND you can easily unsubscribe yourself to keep your inbox clear!
- Freedom – Another very useful website that allows you to block out distractions so you can be more productive. The website is multi-device compatible and easy to use. Just block the websites you don’t want to visit in order to stay focused, and get to work!
- Trello – Trello is a project management website that allows you to visually manage your projects and collaborations. You can use Trello for team projects or individual endeavors, and you can also integrate all of your favorite apps you already use for productivity.
- Todoist – This website helps you keep track of your to-do list items. You can color code priorities, break down your large projects into subtasks, and set reminders. An all in one productivity tool!
- You are a Badass at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth by Jen Sincero – This book was a life changer for me. Jen has great advice about our relationship with our money and how to master your mind. It is also filled with affirmations and exercises at the end of each chapter to improve your relationship with money.
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson – Another life-changing book. Not only is this book funny, but is also packed with wisdom. It provides a great perspective on how to let the little things go so you can live your best and happiest life.
- Organizing From the Inside Out: The Foolproof System for Organizing Your Home, Your Office, Your Life by Julie Morgenstern – Or any book by Julie. She is a guru in the organizing world. Her books are based on the philosophy that organization is a skill that ANYONE can learn!
- It’s All Too Much: An Easy Plan for Living a Richer Life with Less Stuff by Peter Walsh – Or any book by Peter. He is another organizing master, and his proven system for getting organized is designed for everyone.
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and in Business by Charles Duhigg – This is a great book on the science behind forming habits and gives real practical advice for how to break bad habits.
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change by Stephen R Covey – This book is a must read if you want to replace your bad habits with some good ones. The philosophy behind this book is that our perception is what forms our world and that with the help of good habits, you can change your perception and better your life.
4. What is the best piece of advice you have received?
- There is a solution to every problem.
- Trust your instincts.
5. What advice would you give to other entrepreneurs?
- Learn how to say “no” and delegate work when appropriate.
- You can’t be all things to all people—find your niche!
6. What is your beauty and/or fitness routine?
I have a fairly simple and easy beauty routine. It never takes more than 5 minutes for me to get ready! BONUS: All products I use are cruelty-free! Here are some of my favorite beauty products:
- Burt’s Bees Chapstick – I use Burt’s Bees chapstick (with honey) consistently throughout the day. I am not a lipstick wearer, so chapstick is the answer for me!
- Mario Badescu Rosewater Facial Spray – I love how refreshing and soothing this facial spray is! It has aloe and rosewater that helps to boost moisture and a healthy glow.
- Fresh Vitamin Nectar Face Cream – This face cream is absolutely heavenly. It contains healthy vitamins and fruits that leave your skin feeling recharged, moisturized and oh so soft.
- NYX BB Cream – NYX is one of my favorite make up brands! It’s inexpensive and works well—what more could you want! One of my favorite products of theirs is the NYX BB cream. It’s lightweight, easy to apply and long-lasting.
- NYX Baked Blush – Another NYX favorite is their baked blush. Blush is a staple in my make up routine and is frequently the only make-up I will use if I’m in a huge rush. I love the shade “foreplay” which ads a healthy and natural glow.
I go to a gym near my home at least 5x a week! My favorite exercises are the treadmill, any type of workout for my abs, and the guided exercise classes they offer. My #1 tip for a successful workout routine is to have an “accountability partner” to help you stay motivated and stick to your fitness goals.
7. List the products or items that are indispensable in your life.
- DYMO LetraTag Label Maker – My label maker is something I use frequently. Whether it’s for myself or a client, using labels as a way to stay organized is a must. PRO TIP: Use clear bins to store things you don’t use frequently, and label label label!
- Dr. Bronner’s Lavendar Hand Sanitizer Spray – This hand sanitizer is a lifesaver! It’s easy to use on the go and is very calming during a hectic day. Plus, you can use it as a room spray, too!
- Apple iPhone X – I know it sounds cheesy, but I can’t live without my phone! I use it for so many things that are indispensable in my life: my calendar, access to my files, Evernote, great pictures, and so much more!
8. Which female entrepreneur(s) do you look up to and why?
Jen Sincero – she is a total badass! Her books, specifically You are a Badass at Making Money, greatly impacted my career as an entrepreneur and helped me grow in my personal life as well. Her philosophy of mastering your mindset is a seriously powerful tool that anyone can use, which she proves through her own successful career.
9. List your social media platforms.
- Instagram @omyourhomeorganizing
- Pinterest @omyourhome
- Facebook @omyourhomeorganizing
- LinkedIn @jacquelinemendelsohn
- Website www.omyourhomeorganizing.com
- Email email@example.com
- Hashtags #omyourhome #omyourhomeorganizing
Latest posts by Elaine Rau (see all)
- JLab Wireless Earphones v.s. Sudio Wireless Earphones - November 8, 2019
- How To Cool Your Business Premises Without Spending A Fortune - October 22, 2019
- Briana Ross Teaches Female Entrepreneurs How To Build Unforgettable Brands - October 20, 2019
- Jennifer Lehr Educates Couples On How To Create A Safe And Connected Relationship - October 20, 2019
- Dawn Myers Helps Women Of Color Style Their Natural Hair With Tech-Enabled Tools - October 20, 2019