Makini Smith works to guide women entrepreneurs on how to build impactful personal brands using their stories through mindset, book publishing, podcasting and social media.
1. When did you get on Instagram?
I joined Instagram on July 27, 2012. My kids created the account for me.
2. What topics do you post about?
I post things that inspire, educate, and entertain from my experiences. This year, my focus has been making content to help other women build impactful personal brands using their stories.
3. What steps did you take to make your Instagram account more appealing?
I make sure the quality of the images is high and colorful. I use as much of my brand colors within the feed for a theme.
4. Which types of posts seem to get the most engagement for you?
Screenshots of my Twitter quotes, my long caption testimonies, and family shots with my children get the most engagement.
5. How do you combine your faith with your Instagram account?
I often speak about God and my faith in my captions. Letting people know how much I trust God and giving examples of the blessings I have been given that I am grateful for.
6. What strategies have helped you gain followers?
Posting sharable content like Twitter quotes, speaking on other platforms sharing my wisdom, and collaborations with others has helped me grow my community.
7. What has been the most effective way to increase engagement?
Engaging with other accounts, my followers, and posting engaging content.
8. What has been your biggest challenge on Instagram?
Being patient with the growth of my account. Some weeks, I lose just as many followers as I gain. Every time I pivot my services it takes time to attract my niche audience and build trust.
9. What specific steps did you take to overcome those challenges?
By being consistent and showing up with value. Eventually, some turn into leads and new clients.
10. How has faith played a part in your growth?
I put all my trust in God. If I continue to do the work, I will continue to see the fruits of my labor.
11. How have you monetized your Instagram?
By adding value, I positioned myself as an expert. People discover me on Instagram and purchase my products and services
12. What is your best monetization advice to Instagram influencers?
The number of followers doesn’t automatically mean money. Show people how you can help provide solutions to their problems with your expertise.
13. What is the best advice you have personally received as an influencer?
Add value. It’s not enough to just post pretty pictures.
14. What are some daily things you do that attribute to your Instagram’s success?
I make time to engage daily in my comments, timeline, and DMs.
15. What are your thoughts on faith and money?
Money is a reward for service. Focus on being of service and helping others and the money will come.
16. What Instagram tool do you recommend and why?
The Preview App helps me plan out my feed and move images around to see what it will look like before posting. I love strategies.
17. What business course do you recommend?
Jasmine Star has a Social Curator program that helped me understand how to use Instagram for my business strategically.
18. What business book do you recommend?
Building A StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen by Donald Miller.
19. What other resources do you recommend?
Canva helped me create valuable assets to build the brand.
20. What is your favorite scripture?
21. List your social media links (and blog if you have one).
- Instagram: @therealmakinismith
- Website: awalkinmystilettos.com
LEARN HOW TO MAKE MONEY ON INSTAGRAM: LadyBossBloggerCourses.com.
Leave a Reply