Anya is a content creator, marketer, advocate, and Humanist from St. Louis, Missouri. She owns a business that provides digital marketing services to small businesses and is on a mission to empower others to affect change using their voices. Anya loves to travel and is active in Humanist communities internationally.
1. What motivated and inspired you to start your own business?
Unlike many of the stories you hear from entrepreneurs, my business did not come to fruition because of a dream I had. It actually happened out of necessity, after I found myself in a sticky situation.
I’d accepted a full-time remote job at the beginning of summer 2017, had decided to stay with my then-boyfriend in London, and then 5 weeks later when I had consistently received lies rather than a paycheck, I was forced to quit.
So then I was stuck abroad without a job. That’s essentially how my business was born.
2. Tell us about your business.
I provide content creation services to a variety of small to medium-sized businesses and startups. Let’s be honest – what you say matters.
Whether a client needs website copy, editorial management, someone to run their social media, or just a one-off blog post, I offer services that support every stage of the sales funnel. My passion is growing business with words.
I also work part-time as the Marketing Director at a new gymnastics center in St. Louis owned by my Uncle. Olympia Gymnastics Rock Hill is the 9th location to open, but we’re trying new things at this gym— including new marketing things!
I’m proud that we’ve been open for almost 9 months, hit our growth goals early, made an impact on the community, and have had really positive feedback from our customers. It’s so gratifying to see your new business thrive!
3. Are you currently running any promos/contests/giveaways that you would like our readers to know about?
Yes! Two awesome offers right now:
- 30-minute FREE consultation about your content and social media strategies
- $50 for a new LinkedIn bio (including a phone interview to extract the best content).
4. List awards/certifications/accomplishments.
- I graduated from Truman State University a year early with a degree in Public Communication.
- I’m Google Marketing certified.
- I’ve planned and organized two national Ethical Humanist conferences
- I’m the elected Communication Officer for the International Humanist & Ethical Youth Organisation.
- I’ve visited 28 US states, and 9 countries on 3 different continents.
5. Where is your business based?
Currently St. Louis, Missouri.
6. What were the first few steps you took to get your business up and running?
7. What has been the most effective way of raising awareness of your business and getting new customers?
Networking has proven crucial to my business. I’ve managed to get clients from building relationships both online and offline. I go to local networking events to meet people (even when I travel!), load up my schedule with one-on-one meetings to get to know people better and participate in several online business networking groups.
8. What have been your biggest challenges so far?
Retention! It can be difficult as a content creator to have consistent income when your clientele only want to hire you for one-off writing projects.
9. How did you overcome these challenges?
I’ve begun to educate my customer base about the benefit of consistent content and how I can help them intentionally grow their brand. This way, I can work toward selling a monthly retainer package where I can provide my services on a consistent basis.
10. How do you keep motivated through difficult times?
When things get hard, I just try to keep on keeping on. Sometimes that means taking the time to cry my eyes out and then getting back out there, sometimes it means a pep talk from a trusted confidant, and sometimes it just means powering through and keeping my chin up. In any case though, self-care is crucial.
11. How do you distinguish yourself from your competitors?
My writing is not just a product, it’s a strategy. Many freelance writers treat what they do as delivering a commodity – detached from the purpose of the writing – and their clients will accept it because they know they need content. I craft content with the goals of your business in mind, and I refine it over time with the support of data. Content should be living and breathing!
12. What is the best advice you have received recently?
Don’t forget who you are. Don’t let someone derail your confidence just because they don’t like who you are.
13. What advice would you give to other entrepreneurs?
Stick with it. Find someone who can mentor you and continue to learn from other business owners.
14. What are your favorite business tools/resources and why?
I love Canva. I tell people that it’s the Layman’s Adobe Illustrator. I use it every single day because it’s so great for making quick graphics and documents. I designed most of my brand in Canva.
15. What is a good article or book you have read recently?
16. What are you currently learning about for your business or looking for help with?
I’m looking to build referral partnerships with other young professionals both online and offline.
17. What are your goals for the next few months and how are you striving to achieve them?
- Land 5 new monthly clients with consistent networking, relationship building, and distributing content that educates about the benefit of regular content.
- Establish 2 high-level partnerships that result in income with, again, consistent networking and seeking at least one new collaboration per month
- Represent young American Humanists at the International Humanist & Ethical Union General Assembly in Auckland, New Zealand by fundraising and pursuing sponsorship through local organizations
18. What social media outlets do you use? List them below.
- Instagram @anyaovermann
- Facebook @anyaovermannllc
- LinkedIn @Anya Overmann
- Twitter @anyaovermann
- Website www.anyaovermann.com
- Email email@example.com
Latest posts by Elaine Rau (see all)
- The Seaweed Bath Co Purifying Products v.s. Restorative Products - September 17, 2019
- CamHome Olva Security Camera v.s. Blackbox Security Camera - September 5, 2019
- Caroline Tullis Helps Her Readers Be Authentic And Not Compare Themselves To Others - September 4, 2019
- Erin Halper Of The Upside Helps Women Find Success Beyond The 9-5 - September 4, 2019
- Alyssa Tabit Helps Millennial Women Become The Best Version Of Themselves - September 3, 2019