Susan Colvin Paved The Way For Women Entrepreneurs In The Sex Toy Business
What you’ll learn in this interview:
- 1 tool she uses to track the progress of her company in real time
- What she reads to stay up to date on overall business trends
- 3 books she recommends for every entrepreneur to read
- 2 pieces of business advice from 25 years of experience
- 1 woman that she looks up to the most who was a single mother that started her business in her basement and has grown it into a 150 million dollar business
How This Business Woman Runs Her Sex Toy Business Behind The Scenes
1. What do you do? Who do you help?
I am the founder and CEO of CalExotics, one of the largest sex toy companies in the world. I was the first woman to own a novelty company, and have helped pave the way for women entrepreneurs in this industry.
It was not always easy, but looking back over the past 25 years I can say I’ve really seen an incredible shift in the acceptance of pleasure products and I believe I helped create that.
CalExotics helps people who are looking to increase pleasure in their daily lives by creating more inspiring pleasure products. Our products allow people to explore their sexual desires in a fun and safe way, with products that are designed to enhance their overall happiness.
Sex increases your physical and mental wellbeing, and our products are used to aid in that.
2. List your favorite business tools?
- Facebook – my favorite social media platform.
- ConvertKit – email marketing keeps us connected with our customers and lets us learn so much about them. It tracks everything from their search history, where they came from, past purchases and more. This allows us to see the full customer journey and make changes based on this information.
- Microsoft Power Bi – the tool I use to stay on top of the company. It allows me to track the progress of the company in real time. I use this information to make better business decisions, and I can share relevant information with my staff and customers. It is also available on desktop and mobile, allowing me to access this information while I am traveling.
3. What is a good course, website or book you would recommend and why?
I do my best to stay up to date on overall business trends and the economy. I also receive weekly motivational quotes and articles that help me keep a clear head.
- Becoming Michelle Obama – I travel quite a bit for my business, and that is where I get most of my reading done. This is what I’m currently reading.
- Out of the Maze: An A-Mazing Way to Get Unstuck, Who Moved My Cheese? – I’d recommend this to my fellow entrepreneurs.
- The New One Minute Manager – quick, easy to read books that are great to share with your team.
4. What is the best advice you have received?
The best advice I’ve ever received is not to take things so seriously.
I am in the business of pleasure, so keeping things fun and light is important. When things do get serious, what helps me is thinking “what’s the worst thing that can happen.”
When I stop and really think about things I, and my team, can come up with a plan to achieve our goal. Things can get stressful at times, but this helps keep things focused.
5. What advice would you give to other entrepreneurs?
My advice for any entrepreneur is to hire people smarter than you.
In business, we need specific expertise to get the job done, and we must be confident in our team’s ability. Hire people who have knowledge and experience in the areas you may not, and trust them to do the job.
6. What is your beauty and/or fitness routine?
Self-care is important; I always make time to get massages, manicures, and pedicures. This leaves me feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.
I also see a personal trainer 3 times a week and jog and play tennis on the weekends.
7. List all the products or items that are indispensable in your life.
My phone/camera is indispensable to me. I love to take pictures and capture the moment. I also use my camera to capture ideas for my business.
When I see product packaging I like, or a display piece that looks interesting I take a picture and share it with my team.
Sharing these ideas helps spark creativity and sometimes leads to an even better idea for the business.
8. Which female entrepreneur(s) do you look up to and why?
What I admire most is the drive and passion Patty has for her business. She started her business in her basement and has grown it into a 150 million dollar business.
Patty started the company to help provide for her family. She was a single parent trying to do her best for her children. With Pure Romance, she has built an incredible life for herself and has also helped thousands of women along the way. That is truly inspiring!