Digital marketing is crucial for your success, no matter your profession.
One of the main components of your digital marketing strategy is your website.
Your website is where you:
- Get customer leads
- Where people can learn about your business
- Where potential clients can make an appointment
But before all that, you need a killer SEO strategy so that people can find your website.
7 SEO Tips That Every Lawyer Needs
To get the maximum amount of people to your website, you need to follow these basic SEO principles.
1. Find the best keywords
Keywords are one of the most important aspects of SEO.
If you’re not sure what a keyword is, read this article.
In order to find the best keywords for your business, ask yourself this question:
What is your main area of expertise?
Next, write a list of the keywords you want to be associated with.
Use your location as one of the components in your keywords.
For example, “best attorney in Chicago”.
2. Optimize your home page
Your headings, subheadings, CTAs, and blog post titles should all contain your keywords.
Make sure you’re not “keyword stuffing” which means that you’re putting your keyword where it doesn’t make sense in a sentence.
Just make sure to keep it natural so it doesn’t sound like you’re forcefully adding a keyword into a sentence for no reason.
Make sure that your content states exactly what you do and what’s the purpose of your web page.
For example if you have a business that provides law firms with SEO services, make sure to clearly state that.
Don’t forget to optimize your metadata as well.
3. Monitor your competition
When you know what your target keywords are, you can start searching for your competition.
See what types of posts they are sharing and what they are doing to reach the top of search results.
Also, pay attention to where you rank compared to them. This will show you what you need and give you an idea of where you need to be.
Consider what you have in common with your competitors and what you can do better than them.
Visit their websites and see how they are using the same elements you have.
- How are they using content?
- How are they structuring their pages?
- What is their design like?
- Is their page loading faster than yours?
Improve your website based on what you observe.
4. Customize your metatags
You need to write metadata for every page on your website, this tells search algorithms what your page is about.
Important metadata elements to you need to write:
- Title tag – your keyword needs to be included in your title tag for it to rank on Google
- Meta description – this is the short description you see under the title in Google describing what your page is all about and is another place to remember to place your keywords
5. Prioritize mobile-friendliness
Having a website that works well on mobile is the best thing you can do to improve your chances to get leads.
This is a crucial aspect of ranking well since Google and other search engines use responsive design and they rank mobile-friendly websites higher.
6. Improve load speed
Loading speed is another important point of SEO.
When you have a slow website, people don’t stick around waiting for it to load resulting in loss of potential clients.
If you have a slow website, here are some things you can do to improve its speed:
- Reduce the size of your images to approximately 100KB or compress them
- JPGs load more quickly than PNGs and this will be better for your page
- Reduce the number of HTTP requests made by your page
- Keep your plugins up to date and remove plugins that you don’t use
7. Make your pages keyword specific
The more relevant you are, the more highly you will rank.
Your site structure is crucial for SEO and if your page is easy to navigate, it will add to the user experience and help you rank better.
How do you achieve this?
- Write blog posts that set you up as an authority in your field.
- Create pages that are specific to a keyword and it will boost your visibility and provide your visitors with more relevant and useful information.
- If you want to rank for multiple keywords, create individual pages for each of your areas of expertise.
- Use URLs that are SEO friendly, easy to remember and with a good structure.
- Keep in mind that quality content always wins and it will get you to the top of the search results. Filler content does not provide true value.