Sarah Hathaway is a professional makeup artist based in Austin TX. She is inspired by colors, nature, and music, and lives for a good laugh. Her goal is to bring a gorgeous glow to the everyday woman. Let’s create a simple life, full of beauty. Clean it out. Style it in.
What motivated and inspired you to start your own business?
I have always loved art and creative endeavors. I grew up painting, dancing, and performing, and thought it was a great way to mesh everything I love together, into one art form. I love working with people and helping them see the beauty in themselves. Women are so strong and amazing and I just want to play a small part in getting them all to see it in themselves.
Tell us about your business.
B.fleye Beauty Artistry is a makeup company that emphasizes simple beauty. We do makeup parties, one-on-one makeup lessons, bridal/event makeup, branding and boudoir sessions. I love to help women find the best products for themselves, as well as their perfect go-to look they can create in minutes. Seeing women glow from the inside out is the coolest thing!
Are you currently running any promos/contests/giveaways that you would like our readers to know about?
One-on-one lessons and makeup parties are 15% off in the month of May. You don’t have to be scheduled in the month of May, just booked.
My greatest accomplishment is growing my business while being a full time High School Teacher.
Where is your business based?
My business is based in Austin, TX, but will travel for beauty.
What were the first few steps you took to get your business up and running?
Once I graduated college, I moved to California to go to makeup school. I then started doing as much free work as I could afford, taking as many pictures as I could. Word of mouth was the biggest help at that point, as well as handing out my business cards to as many people that would take one. Getting client work was my biggest priority.
What has been the most effective way of raising awareness of your business and getting new customers?
Early on it was purely word of mouth, through friends, family, and other artists in the business. More recently it has been client referrals, other artists, my website, and social media outlets. I feel like making that personal connection with my clients really helps pay it forward with new business.
What have been your biggest challenges so far?
I have had two big challenges recently.
- One has been a refocus/rebrand of my business into a new direction. Focusing more on lessons and parties, rather than weddings. It has been difficult getting the word out that I offer new services.
- My second challenge has been social media. Learning the best way to use it to advertise and grow my business brand.
How did you overcome these challenges?
I would say that I am still in the midst of these challenges as we speak.
- One step has been to be 100% clear with myself in what I want my business to be. Also, saying “no” to some events to fit the new opportunities in. There is a risk there, having an open schedule that would normally be full, and hoping and praying you can fill it in with the new service.
- Secondly, learning about social media marketing tools/skills. There is so much to learn there! Reaching out to mentors and leaders in the beauty business has been so important for me as well.
How do you keep motivated through difficult times?
I heard a quote somewhere once… something like “I don’t want to die with my song still inside me.” I stay motivated because I would not feel like my true self if I didn’t do this “thing.” I am so inspired by beauty and simplicity and I feel so passionately about others seeing that in themselves (especially when I struggle seeing these things in myself). Also I get CHILLS doing this work. That stuff really gets me through the difficult times.
How do you distinguish yourself from your competitors?
Distinguishing myself was so intimidating at first, especially being in the midst of a huge beauty influencer era on social media. I decided to really stick with what I do best and what I love most: simple, glowy, individualized beauty. This is where I do the best, most authentic work, and authentic work stands out. I also try to let my personality shine through and not try to change it. I am silly, colorful, and emotional, and I am no longer trying to change it. Now I let it shine through in my work and brand.
What is the best advice you have received recently?
The best advice I received recently was that I can always change my mind. I have this fear that once I decide something, I have to stick with it until I die, even if I am unhappy. But that is SO not true! Life is about change and growth, and my business can be the same. In all honesty, it should be this way. A business won’t grow without any change. Neither can a person.
What advice would you give to other entrepreneurs?
Start now. Today. Don’t wait. Do something productive for your business on a regular basis, even if it’s small.
What is your favorite business tool or resource?
My brilliant friends that are leaders in the beauty business. Also, Instagram.
What is a good article or book you have read recently?
“White Hot Truth” by Danielle Laporte.
What are you currently learning about for your business or looking for help with?
Social media marketing, advertising, transitioning to a new direction in my business.
What are your goals for the next few months and how are you striving to achieve them?
My goal is to have better control of my social media and have a higher percentage than last month in my new services.
What social media outlets do you use? List them below.
Hashtags #bfleye #bfleyebeautyartistry #austinmakeupartist #makeuplessons #makeupparties
Latest posts by Elaine Rau (see all)
- Angela Ficken Specializes In Working With OCD, Eating Disorders, And Anxiety-Related Concerns - December 5, 2019
- 21 Best Black Friday And Cyber Monday Deals For Online Business Owners - November 29, 2019
- Sianna Elise Honors African Style Through Her Clothing Brand - November 26, 2019
- Jessica Hilderbrand-Marshall Takes Care Of All Your Graphic Design And Marketing Needs - November 24, 2019
- Brooke Allison Helps Ambitious Entrepreneurs Scale Their 6 Figure Businesses - November 19, 2019