How To Get Out Of A Creative Rut For Bloggers
As a blogger, one of the worst things is to fall into a creative rut. It can be a annoying and confusing experience. But they are completely normal! Unfortunately, you cannot be writing at your maximum capacity 24/7.
There are a lot of reasons that you could have fallen into a creative rut. Here are a few:
It can be really frustrating to be stuck in a creative rut. So here are some ways to pull yourself back out!
1. Engage in rejuvenating activities
The stagnation of sitting and staring at a blank page for what feels like forever can be quite draining. The best way to shake that off is to do something you find rejuvenating.
The easiest ways to do so are to:
- Go for a walk
- Dance to your favorite song
- Practice yoga
While a physical activity would probably be the most beneficial, it is not the only option you have. Maybe you would rather read a book or listen to a podcast for your break. Whatever the case, it needs to be something that you will find at least a little invigorating.
2. Clean and reorganize your space
When you are stressed, it tends to manifest in your physical space. Taking some time to clean your space will help sit back down with a clear mind.
Productive breaks are incredibly helpful. Monotonous tasks like doing the dishes or laundry give your brain the space to be creative. And, you are not wasting any time, you are still getting things done.
Additionally, sometimes all you need to get the productivity snowball rolling is some smaller, easy tasks. Chores are a great thing to check off your list and get that snowball moving!
At the very least, clean your workspace or home. But, you can also reorganize!
Being in a ‘new’ space can trick your mind a little. The ‘new’ surroundings can become inspiring even if it is the same four walls.
3. Work from a new location
If you always work from home, try working at a coffee shop or the library. A new space is an easy way to give you new ideas.
Working from the same place every day can become boring. Mixing it up a bit is a great way to shake you out of your routine and get inspired.
You can also invite a friend and have a study date. Maybe they are also in a creative rut, or maybe you need a sounding board for your new ideas. Even if you just want to hang out with your friend, bringing someone with you when you mix up your routine can be incredibly helpful!
4. Practice self-care
Boredom and lack on inspiration are not the only reasons for a creative rut. Sometimes it is your body telling you to slow down a little.
Now, do not ignore all of your responsibilities, but take an evening to care for yourself-whatever that means for you. It could be:
- Taking a peace bath
- Having a movie night
- Going to the spa
- Cooking your favorite meal
- Calling a friend or family member
- Getting some exercise
- Play some board games
- Go to an event
There are a million and one different things you can do, it all depends on what is going to be the best for you. The most important thing is that you take a break and do something that brings you some joy. It does not have to be anything grandiose, it can be something small like meditating or making your bed-whatever is going to make you feel a little better.
5. Take a nap
Sometimes the best thing to get you out of a small creative rut is to take a nap. You may be exhausted and experiencing a bit of burnout. A nap is an easy way to reset-even if it is only for 20 minutes.
But if you are not sleeping well, you may want to sleep for a bit longer. Your body needs that time to reset and reorient itself. It is super important for your physical and mental health that you get enough sleep. Naps are a good way to help get on the right track when you are super busy.
6. Learn something new
Sometimes, to get out of a creative rut, you need to give your brain something else to focus on. By learning something new, you are giving yourself a reprieve from the work. Sometimes that is all it takes. Also, by learning something new, you are giving yourself a new perspective that may give you a new idea.
Learning something new does not have to be expensive if you do not want it to be. But if you want instruction, you can get it. Here are some ways to learn something new:
- Take a masterclass
- See what activities are in your area
- Browse YouTube classes
- Have a friend or family member teach you about one of their hobbies
7. Create ways to get inspired
Sometimes, getting inspired to work or write is the hardest part. So, you can create spaces and recourses to jumpstart your creative side. Some options include but are not limited to:
- A Pinterest board
- A physical mood board
- A folder on your computer full of images, quotes, and online resources.
- A list in your planner or notes app
- A playlist to get you in the writing mood
- A list of inspirational videos
There is an unlimited amount of things you could do to get yourself inspired to write, so choose the options that work best for you.
Be kind to yourself
As you can see, there are a bunch of different ways to pull yourself out of a creative rut. Pick and choose the ones that will work best for you and your lifestyle-combine some if you would like! It is important to have some ready to go in your arsenal though.
The most important thing to remember when in a creative rut it that is normal, so be kind to yourself. You cannot be at your peak of creativity all of the time. Ruts are normal and to be expected. The best things to do are to be kind to yourself, find out why you are in the rut, and then coax yourself out of it.
The next time you are in a creative rut, try out some of these methods!
Additional articles you might be interested in:
- How To Avoid Burnout As A Blogger And Influencer
- 5 Ways For Entrepreneurs To Better Manage Their Stress Levels
- Kate Gorman Helps Women Relax And De-Stress Through Mobile Games
- Deborah Kos Helps Busy Moms Learn How To Be Less Stressed
- 5 Steps To Amplify Your Energy, Reduce Your Stress, And Maximize Your Productivity
- 5 Ways To Reduce Holiday Stress
- How To Set Up A Productive Home Working Environment
- 5 Ways To Be More Productive Throughout Your Day
- 5 Techniques To Become A More Productive Boss
- Jen De Simone Swiss Helps Women Infuse Their Lives With Wellness And Self-Care
- 5 Female Creators Who Promote Mental Health
- Ebony Horton Helps Busy People Do Self-Care With Minute-Encouragement Reads
- 7 Self-Care Habits Of Highly Successful Entrepreneurs
- Krysia Hepatica Helps Women With Divine Self-Care
- 10 Ways To Prioritize Self-Care As A Busy Entrepreneur
- How To Bust Your Own Glass Ceiling With Self-Care
- Nadia Galloway Is Literally Redefining What It Means To “Sleep Like A Baby”
- Tatiana Amico Helps Women Prioritize Themselves With Tangible Tools For Healthy Eating and Exercise
Grace Lopykinski is a blogging intern at LadyBossBlogger. She currently attends the University of Tennessee and is studying business administration and English.