Destinee Myers, also known as MISS LEGACY, is an Orlando Director and 1Pop Stop Model. She loves creating custom jewelry that compliments an individual’s specific features and unique fashion sense.
What motivated and inspired you to start your own business?
I started making jewelry at the age of 11. At the age of 20, my sister (Mahogany) started her own lucrative Bow/Craft boutique on Etsy. My mom encouraged me to follow her steps, however I was preparing to enter my freshman year in college. So, I ended up giving those pieces for my online business away to freshman girls!
Tell us about your business.
I make custom barrettes, jewelry (bangles, bracelets, studs, necklaces) for Miss Teen Global US (Chandler Elle Jordan) and Miss Legacy US (Jeana Faye Reynolds). I make pieces that I believe will compliment their features and particular fashion sense.
- 6 GPA @ Southeastern University (Lakeland, FL- Marketing Major)
- National Merit High School Scholar
- Miss Legacy US (Orlando) Director
Where is your business based?
What were the first few steps you took to get your business up and running?
To be honest, I just took a bunch of photos the items I liked and started to blog 3-4 times a day on my personal Instagram page.
What has been the most effective way of raising awareness of your business and getting new customers?
I do my best to make sure my feed is relevant to my personal style and uniqueness. I refuse to make my page a carbon copy of another blog. I design my own graphics, its makes my IG more personable.
What have been your biggest challenges so far?
I’ve gotten a lot of collaboration offers, however I cannot say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to all of them. I must conduct my own research of the brand to make sure it goes along with my own personal brand.
How did you overcome these challenges?
I make a list of the positive/negative benefits of joining forces with another brand. The company who has the least marked on the negative side always wins.
How do you keep motivated through difficult times?
Failure is just feedback. How can I take the feedback given to me and work to improve myself to achieve my goals?
How do you distinguish yourself from your competitors?
My personal “life motto” is: Everything in life is a test. If I don’t pass it the first time, I can just try again.
What is the best advice you have received recently?
Don’t run away from controversy, stand and keep silent until the storm dies down.
What advice would you give to other entrepreneurs?
Do not compromise your integrity or personal values for success. How you get to the top matters.
What are your favorite business tools/resources and why?
- Canva: I can create my IG posts in less than 5 minutes.- Most of their content is free, it looks professional too!
- My iPhone: I take pictures of store displays for inspiration.
- Kids cartoons: Barbie, Pixar, Disney films spark my creativity.
What is a good article or book you have read recently?
Crucial Conversations by: Kerry Patterson
What are you currently learning about for your business or looking for help with?
I want to get into the modeling industry. I specifically desire to model for Louis Vuitton and Victoria’s Secret.
What are your goals for the next few months and how are you striving to achieve them?
- Get my Mercedes Benz GLC
- Publish my book – I just spoke with a major publisher two weeks ago, I could possibly have a book deal with them!
- Sponsor missions trips – I donated funds to one of my friends’ mission trip to Ecuador.
What social media outlets do you use? List them below.
Latest posts by Elaine Rau (see all)
- Amber & Sienna Help Women Enhance Their Beauty And Confidence One Earring At A Time - March 18, 2019
- Abby Paffrath Prints Her Original Artwork Onto Apparel - March 16, 2019
- Tabitha Laser Helps Future Leaders Be Better Leaders - March 14, 2019
- Pamela Sommers Helps Women Reconnect With Their Inner Being - March 12, 2019
- Natalie McKearin Helps Consumers Combat Bullying Through Fashion - March 10, 2019