What you’ll learn in this interview:
- The 7 tools this business owner uses to run her brand
- The 1 course that taught her the basics of Instagram for Business
- The book you should read on how to motivate yourself and crush self-doubt
- Her advice on the most important part of a beauty routine and her top products
- Her best advice to help you bring out your inner boss babe and focus on your dreams
How This Dog Apparel Owner Runs Her Business Behind The Scenes
1. What do you do? Who do you help?
I create and design fashionable and functional gear and apparel for dog owners and pups who want that next level fabulous in their every day lives.
Pink Papyrus is all about helping our tribe live colorfully and transform dog essentials into statement pieces. It’s like they say, every sidewalk is a runway, and yes, you can even turn heads at the dog park.
2. List your favorite business tools.
- Planoly – The best Instagram scheduler that’s actually Instagram approved. With Planoly, you can visually plan out your feed and set your account to auto post. Organizing and making your life easier? Yes, please!
- Unfold – Favorite app of yours truly and the insta-elite to create perfectly polished Instagram stories. Unfold supports photo and video and also provides high-quality export of your finished story to your device or directly to your Instagram page. Best part? It’s free!
- InShot – The best video editor app that can also edit photos. If you’ve been wondering how to get a specific part of a song overlaid onto a picture or video, InShot can do that for you!
- Squarespace – The all-in-one platform to help you create the online presence you’ve been dreaming of. Whether you are a blogger, an influencer, a photographer, or an e-commerce brand or store, Squarespace provides the tools to create a visually stunning platform. Their customer service and support are amazing and highly responsive. Love when you can actually get in touch with real people for help!
- Lightroom – Image organization and manipulation software that helps you knock your photos out of the park in the post-processing phase. Lightroom doesn’t have as steep of a learning curve as Photoshop, and if you need to shrink down the size of your images while maintaining resolution for use on a website, Lightroom is a must have!
3. What is a good course, website, or book you would recommend and why?
- Instagram With Intention – Hillary Rushford is not just an extremely successful Instagram influencer and entrepreneur, she’s a master at teaching others the art of elevating their Instagram game. This course goes over the basics of Instagram and dives into the foundations of building your brand image on social media platforms from the ground up. If you intend to be less catalog, and more magazine, this is the course for you!
- Canva – The design editor tool to consistently create stunning graphics that you never knew you needed in your life! Design everything from presentations, to social media graphics, and even Instagram highlights covers. You know, those cute little bubbles with different cover images on everyone and every business’ feed? Yep, you can make those here. You’re welcome.
- Dropbox – The home for all your files, photos, projects, and documents. Similar to a cloud, dropbox stepped up their game by allowing you to collaborate on your work with others while keeping your data safe. This is the perfect solution for sending files, big or small, to anyone even if they don’t have a Dropbox account.
- The Hungry JPEG – High-quality resources that can be used commercially for an affordable price. Whether you are a graphics design pro or you’re just looking for that perfect font for your business project, The Hungry JPEG has you covered. There are individual graphics and fonts for purchase along with great deals on bundles, but our favorite part? The Hungry JPEG gives weekly and monthly freebies!
- Girl, Wash Your Face – This book by Rachel Hollis is a great reminder that when I feel like everyone else has it together except for me, that’s a big fat lie! You control how happy you are and who and what you let affect that happiness. You have hustle, you have heart, you have confidence and you are a self-reliant boss babe! Shine on queen!
4. What is the best piece of advice you have received?
The race is long, and in the end, it’s only with yourself.
5. What advice would you give to other entrepreneurs?
Fear is a part of life, but let it motivate you not paralyze you.
For all that is good in the world, do not listen to the haters. They are everywhere, and they have one job… to hate.
Haters will execute their job to the highest level while infiltrating your mind if you let them. Don’t let them. Ain’t nobody got time for that.
6. What is your beauty and/or fitness routine?
My beauty routine changes depending on the day and the events of the day. If there’s one part of the routine that’s a constant, it’s skincare! Taking care of your skin is so essential, otherwise, by the time you’re 40 it’ll look 65.
- Rodan & Fields Unblemish Regimen – A multi-med therapy solution for taking care of adult skin, especially with hormonal changes. All you postpartum acne mamas out there, this worked for me! Added bonus? The Unblemish regimen tackles visible signs of aging, love it!
- Clinique Moisture Surge 72-Hour Auto Replenishing Hydrator – A name so long . I get tired of reading it after the third word, but I love this product! I naturally have dry skin (ashiness be gone!) and this helps to keep my face looking fresh. I love putting it under my eyes because it helps prevent those super annoying under eye creases.
- Clinique Take The Day Off Makeup Remover – Obsessed. There’s my review, just obsessed. But really, taking off makeup is such a pain! By the time you’re able to get it all off, another 24 hours has gone by and you have no clue what happened in your life. Okay, so that was overly dramatic, but you get the point. This remover works fast without any tugging or excessive rubbing necessary. No more raccoon eyes over here!
I’m a total morning person and a grandma by 9pm. Don’t get it twisted, I can definitely get down with the get down when there’s a reason to be up all night, but on most days, you can check me into bed by nightfall.
I’m up by about 4:45 – 5:00am to get in a good 45 minutes to an hour of cardio. I’ve found over time that it gets my blood pumping and gets me going for the day. It’s also the best time for me to work out because it’s some of the only time I have during the day that can be solely dedicated to myself without interruption.
Just me, the treadmill, and my gangster rap.
7. Who is the products or items better indispensable in your life.
- Phone, Laptop, Apple Watch – So basic. I know! But I can’t live without these. I’m also insanely music obsessed (shout out to the Backstreet Boys, I love you!) and I literally have music playing constantly.
- Erin Condren Planner – sometimes you just need to see stuff written down, and by sometimes I mean all the time for me. This planner keeps me organized and my inner (sometimes not so inner) OCD happy. Doesn’t hurt that the planners are so cute that it makes you want to write stuff down!
- Chapstick – The last time dry chapped lips were in style was not never.
8. Which female entrepreneur(s) do you look up to and why?
Sara Blakely – Heard of Spanx anyone? When I think of boss baby inspiration, she’s it. Having worked several jobs and ultimately being successful at her sales job (she sold fax machines), she used her savings and set out to build what would eventually become her Spanx empire.
Look where she is today all because she stepped away from the “safe” path and into the unknown. Women all around the globe choose to follow their dreams every day. You and I can totally do it too!
9. List your social media platforms.
- Website www.pinkpapyrus.com
- Instagram @pink_papyrus
- Facebook @thepinkpapyrus
- Email Christine@pinkpapyrus.