What you’ll learn in this interview:
- The 4 tools this business owner uses to run her blog
- The books she’s read that helped her decrease anxiety and insecurities
- The beauty and fitness routines that keep her healthy
- The products that she cannot live without
- Her advice to help you embrace your authenticity and be grateful for what you already have
How This Fashion And Lifestyle Blogger Runs Her Business Behind The Scenes
1. What do you do? Who do you help?
I write my fashion and lifestyle blog Sweet Caroline which focuses on a variety of topics including style, traveling, beauty tips, healthy routines, faith, mental health, and much more.
I started it as a hobby during my freshman year of college back in September 2015. Now as a blogger/influencer, I’ve collaborated with brands including JustFab, Clean & Clear, MantraBand, Vionic Shoes, DaySpring, Homesick Candles, etc.
My goal for blogging is to encourage my readers to be authentic and not compare themselves to others, especially in this day in age with social media. I truly believe God calls me to share my story with my own authentic experience, and I want to inspire people to do the same. I want people to see the light of Jesus within me!
2. List your favorite business tools.
- VSCO – One of the best photo-editing apps ever! It has a wide variety of different filters, and it helps make my pictures look aesthetic yet authentic at the same time.
- Unfold – I use Unfold for a lot of my Instagram story and sometimes for posts. Inspired by print media, it’s a great way to create vintage stories with cool font and more than one picture. I use it for almost all of my Instagram stories, especially for new blog posts and even to wish one of my friends a happy birthday!
- MailChimp – When I first started blogging and needed an email marketing platform, MailChimp was the first one that was recommended to me. I’ve been using it for almost four years now and I absolutely love it. It keeps my list of subscribers organized and sends email campaigns out very easily. Plus, it’s an app you can use on phones too – so it can be used anywhere!
- BlueHost – This is THE perfect platform for any entrepreneur. It’s perfect for blogs, photography businesses, brands, stores, and much more. It makes my website look so aesthetically pleasing and visually stunning. I should also note that customer service is extremely responsive when it comes to getting help. It’s a little pricy compared to most blogging platforms, but it’s so worth it!
3. What is a good course, website or book you would recommend and why?
- I’m currently studying fashion merchandising and public relations at Kent State University, so I’ve been taking courses in fashion, marketing, entrepreneurship, public relations, media journalism, etc.
- I’m self-taught when it comes to blogging. I started it in my early years of college, and I’ve learned a lot about the industry and social media along the way. I’m still learning a lot, but it’s a process I enjoy growing in as long as I’m posting content I’m happy with!
- “Girl, Stop Apologizing” by Rachel Hollis – I read this book early in the summer and I can’t express how grateful I am for reading it. It’s a wonderful reminder that I, especially as a woman who dreams of becoming her own boss, should never feel the need to apologize for being who I want to be. It’s helped me gain more self-esteem and respect for my own personal values!
- “Own Your Everyday: Overcome the Pressure to Prove and Show Up for What You Were Made to Do” by Jordan Lee Dooley – I read this book in less than a month, which is probably the fastest I’ve ever finished a book. Not only does this book encourage you to follow your passions, but also how to be a great example to those around you. One of my favorite quotes (sorry, spoiler alert!!!) from Jordan is, “Distractions make me a consumer of the world rather than a contributor of the world. But the contributors are the ones who change the world.” See? This is a quote we should all live by!
- “Live Fearless: A Call to Power, Passion, and Purpose” by Sadie Robertson – Although this book isn’t necessarily about entrepreneurship, I find it extremely empowering. Sadie talks about focusing on faith and confidence to overcome fear and anxiety, which has helped me with my own similar experience.
4. What is the best piece of advice you have received?
- Don’t say things about yourself that you would never say to a friend. You would never tell your BFF “you’re not smart”, “you’re not pretty”, “you’re not enough”, so why should you say it to yourself?
- There are two things that prevent people from happiness: living in the past and comparing themselves to others.
- If your dreams don’t scare you, they aren’t big enough.
5. What advice would you give to other entrepreneurs?
- Never be afraid to be yourself. Authenticity is what will make you stand out in this saturated world. God put you here for a reason: to be yourself, not like everybody else!
- Work hard, but don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Perfectionism represents an illusion, not a person.
- No matter what the circumstance is, be obsessively grateful for everything you already have.
6. What is your beauty and/or fitness routine?
- Rodan + Fields soothing face regimen – Ever since my mom introduced me to this brand, I haven’t stopped using it. These products keep my face clean and healthy! I use it every night and every morning, finishing off with an eye complex cream. Start eye cream NOW – you’re never too young and you will be so grateful you started – the earlier the better!
- Mascara & lipstick – When I don’t have time to put on a full face of makeup, mascara and lipstick are my two necessities for beautifying it up on the go. Mascara and lipstick are really all you need!
- Running for 30 minutes
- Going on a run helps me relieve stress and pump up my endorphins. It also gives me a good excuse to listen to my music!
- Strength & conditioning
- My goal is not to be the next female bodybuilder, but I do like my body feeling strong and toned. I work out at a gym called DFS where each day has different workouts that focus on legs, arms, and lower back. It’s super tough and exhausting (and sweaty), but I feel like a badass afterward!
- Yoga & Meditation
- I’ve been doing yoga and meditation since I was in high school, and it’s one of my absolute favorite health routines. I deal with anxiety and OCD, so do calming stretching and taking deep breaths helps a lot. I love the channel Yoga With Adriene for practices because she has yoga moves for any certain situation, and she has a wonderful sense of humor!
7. List the products or items that are indispensable in your life.
- Sonicare electric toothbrush – I would much rather use an electric toothbrush over a regular toothbrush! They do a really good job at brushing and leave my teeth feeling squeaky clean.
- Drybar detox dry shampoo (original scent) – I honestly don’t know I would do if dry shampoo didn’t exist. My hair can go four or more days without washing, but I still want it to feel like I washed it. Drybar’s dry shampoo does an amazing job at making my hair smell fresh and clean. I use it almost every day!
- Canon – EOS Rebel T6 – I got this for Christmas two years ago and I use it for practically all of my photoshoots for my blog. I also use it for YouTube videos. The quality is so good!
- Urban Decay setting spray – I use it every time I wear makeup, it allows my makeup to look fresher so much longer!
- DaySpring planner/devotional – I recently collaborated with DaySpring to promote their new agendas, and I’m absolutely in love with the one they sent me. It keeps me organized and inspires me each day!
8. Which female entrepreneur(s) do you look up to and why?
- Rachel Hollis – In my opinion, she’s one of the most empowering women in this whole world. I love how she refuses to let the opinions of other people get to her and marches to the beat of her own drum, not to be mention that she has the cutest kids!
- Jordan Lee Dooley – Her journey as both a Christian and an entrepreneur are what inspire my journey as both a Christian and an entrepreneur. She’s not afraid to be vulnerable about her life on the Internet, which I have so much respect for and I hope can have a similar impact on my followers.
- Lauren Conrad – Lauren was one of the first few entrepreneurs that I started looking up to because of our similar taste in style. She was also one of the first celebrities I followed when I got an Instagram account, and many of my photos are inspired by her girly, aesthetic content.
9. List your social media platforms.
- Website: www.carolinetullis.com
- Email: email@example.com
- Instagram: @carolinetullis
- Twitter: @carolinetullis4
- YouTube: Caroline Tullis
- Pinterest: @carolinetullis
- Facebook: Sweet Caroline
- LinkedIn: Caroline Tullis
- 21 Buttons: @carolinetullis
Latest posts by Elaine Rau (see all)
- JLab Wireless Earphones v.s. Sudio Wireless Earphones - November 8, 2019
- How To Cool Your Business Premises Without Spending A Fortune - October 22, 2019
- Briana Ross Teaches Female Entrepreneurs How To Build Unforgettable Brands - October 20, 2019
- Jennifer Lehr Educates Couples On How To Create A Safe And Connected Relationship - October 20, 2019
- Dawn Myers Helps Women Of Color Style Their Natural Hair With Tech-Enabled Tools - October 20, 2019